December 11, 2008

New Job


So - I started a new job this week.

It's an unbelievable answer to prayer. Not that I didn't like my old job - that's not it at all. But, my deep craving for something new and challenging needed to be satisfied. And that craving has been around for a few years now. I am with the same company and corresponding with a lot of the same people I did in my previous role - which is great. My new boss took me to a nice lunch today and it made me feel so good about where I am at and how God has expanded my knowledge about people, business, technology, etc. Somewhere in me, though, is an ache to do something....well, more....something. I don't believe that a 9-5 desk job is inherently evil or bad in any way. But, do any of you out there ever get sick of sending one more piece of inter-office mail? Or entering one more piece of data into the system? And your head may explode? But, many days as I am driving into work I thank the Lord that I have a job...an income..a great company. What He has blessed me with always astonishes me. I thank him that a 28 year old female can work alongside many men and not feel intimidated or like a second-class worker. I attached some stats that I came across and found interesting about working women. Thought I would share :)


# In 2004, women in the United States were paid 76 cents for every dollar men received for comparable work.
# African American women earn only 71 cents and Latinas 59 cents for every dollar men are paid. Asian Pacific American women earn 86 cents for every dollar men make.
# Nationwide, working families lose $200 billion in income annually due to the wage gap between men and women.
# If married women were paid the same as men in comparable jobs, their family incomes would rise by nearly 6 percent, and their families' poverty rates would fall from 2.1 percent to 0.8 percent.
# If single working mothers earned as much as men in comparable jobs, their family incomes would increase by nearly 17 percent and their poverty rates would be cut in half, from 25.3 percent to 12.6 percent.
# If single women earned as much as men in comparable jobs, their incomes would rise by 13.4 percent and their poverty rates would be reduced from 6.3 percent to 1 percent.
# Half of all women with income from a pension in 2002 received less than $5,600 per year, compared with $10,340 per year for men.
# The 25.6 million women who work in predominantly male jobs lose an average of $3,446 each per year; the 4 million men who work in predominately female occupations lose an average of $6,259 each per year—a total $114 billion loss for men and women in predominately female jobs.
# In the global economy, women account for 60 percent of the world’s 550 million working poor—even though they make up 40 percent of the world’s workforce.



source: http://www.aflcio.org/issues/factsstats/

No comments:

About Me

Our timeline..

Daisypath Anniversary tickers